Friday, September 3, 2010

Stratford-upon-Avon

These people are serious about walking over here. I like to walk, it's a nice form of exercise. However, I don't know about this walking everywhere business. I have now developed a bleeding blister on my toe. Hooray. Not even on my heel or the bottom of my feet - where you would figure my blisters would be.

Now that I'm through with that rant I am going to update my blog for you guys. I got to go to Stratford-upon-Avon on Thursday morning and we got back today around six-ish. Woo-boy. We packed a lot of stuff (walking, mostly) in those couple of days.

First of all, I had trouble sleeping Wednesday night so of course I was up late on Thursday morning. Claire woke me up, thankfully. I managed to have a beigel with peanut butter. It was great, but I didn't have time to drink any tea. :( We decided that we wanted to walk with Dr. King and a group of students the forty-five minute walk from our flat to the Marylebone train station. (By the way - interesting fact - Londoners, and perhaps British folks everywhere- tend to pronounce words without some of the letters that they have in them. Marylebone is pronounced Marlebin. (It's sooooo hard to understand the train conducter, haha.)

Anyway, so I woke up and packed quickly and got upstairs with Claire to join the group. We walked through regent's park and I wished I had ten eyes so I could see all the buildings. The architecture was really pretty in that part of town. (Well I guess I should say in that part of the city.)

We finally got to the train station and we had enough time to get some food for the train. I got a ham and egg sandwich and a water bottle that I have been refilling for the whole trip since I bought it. Then we sat down and waited for our platform number and eventually finally made our way to Platform one. Our group of 14 (and two British professors) made it onto about one car by ourselves. This was good because we didn't bother the other travelers. One of the things I hate about big groups, especially big groups of teenagers, (especially especially the American kind) is that we tend to get loud as we compete to talk over each other.

Anyway I tried to take some pictures. I can't help myself, I've never been on a train even in the United States, at least, that I can remember. So we had to chill for two and a half hours for the Stratford ride. I listened to my ipod and all that jazz.

Then we arrived and Jean (our Shakespeare prof) lead us down this street with building after quaint building of bed and breakfasts. Groups of us stayed at different bed and breakfasts and for the life of me, I can't really remember the name of ours. I stayed with Ruthie and Kemper - which was a nice change from my real flatemates - not that I'm sick of them or anything but I'm still learning new things about people.

Have I mentioned why we went to Stratford yet? We were after Shakespeare's birthplace and grave and a production of one of his plays - "A Winter's Tale." It was definitely an experience. I have also never been to a professional play before.

Seeing Shakespeare's grave was neat. The church was gorgeous - of the Anglican variety - and his wife Anne was also in the church. I felt a neat sort of peacefulness in the church as well as in Shakespeare's actual garden. I am going to post tons of pictures about the places we went. We also went to his wife Anne Hathaway's cottage. The exhibitions they have in these ridiculously old houses/cottages are amazing.

Now, back to Stratford. Did you know that Avon is a river which the town Stratford is built by? I always just thought the British were strange for naming a town something like "Stratford-upon-Avon." Well, you learn something new everyday. I can tell you this, I preferred Stratford to London. The town is quaint with a lot of Tudor style buildings. The windows are gorgeous and there is black and white striped looking work on the store fronts. Also the place is not all that big. One thing I am falling in love with about England is their footpaths they have. They just go right through the town, through people's property and through fields and parks. However, people use them. They are kept up for the public and they are the neatest things ever.

Even though I opened this post about complaining about walking, I really enjoyed walking those paths. Dr. King was saying that they have been here for forever, even before the Brits started producing quaint little towns like Stratford. I tried fish and chips for the first time. I think my fish - which I couldn't figure out what type it was - was a little too fried. However, it was very good. Also, the piece of fish was as big as my face. I also like how their 'chips' are our 'french fries.' And they happen to be the very hearty meaty type of french fries. (BUT I've not been unable to find ranch anywhere.)

The show was interesting. I wish we'd seen a play that I had already read. We had to rush to see this one because it was the only Shakespeare production they were showing in Stratford when the group would be here. The play, in my opinion, was lacking to say the least. It was such a slow beginning. Goodness I was so tired and full of my fish and chips (and peas - not mushy peas - even Dr. King says those are scary) that I was going to fall asleep.

I will say that the actors and actresses were amazing as was the acting and props and scenery that they utilized. I did enjoy the comic relief that Shakespeare is all too famous for, however, I was not happy with three hours of sitting high up in the gallery and straining my ears through the accents and the distance.

After the play we were allowed to do whatever but the place pretty much closed down - this not being London. The one pub where the actors are supposed to all frequent - The Mucky Duck - was so packed. We all dispersed and a group of us went to find some pringles. We finally found some and enjoyed them. (Yes Gramner these taste like the same cardboard here as they do over there.)

Anyway we were walking back and I noticed how in Stratford you could totally see all the stars. They speckled the sky like tiny prin-picks of a child's magic marker. They were numerous and twinkling. That made me think of seeing shooting stars with Johnny at the beach, they were almost that good. However, nothing will be that good, I don't think. It was neat to think, "Oh, I'm standing under the night sky and I can see the stars." This is just another sign that a big city is really not my thing. Haha. Oh well, we have to try new experiences.

As I'm posting this, by the way - it's 12:26 AM and I'm eating Cherry yogurt. I LOVE the yogurt over here. It's so smooth and fresh or something weird. I don't even like yogurt at home. Anyway, sorry I missed you earlier mom. Everyone and their dog was in our flat yelling and I've been uber frustrated this afternoon. I thought I was going to have to go into hysterics to get them all out but they left and I've been watching british t.v. shows on my computer. We have a t.v. - but I can put my ear phones in and be anti-social.

Anyway back to Stratford - on the way back I fell asleep on the train ride. For serious. I never sleep on moving vehicles so you guys must know I am exhausted. Anyway - I slept for about thirty minutes - and then I had to get up and buy my oyster card. I was nervous about going to the tube - you guys know how that's been so far. Well, I couldn't even get out of the train station correctly. My train card thingy wouldn't go through the ticket receptor and I had to "ask for assistance!" Sheesh! Public transportation just doesn't like me. I wasn't messing around though I was tired and on a mission so I simply wen to the dude in the uniform get-up and I told him to let me through as I thrust him my ticket. I was sleepy and my hair thingy had just broken off my all too frizzy hair.

Then I got in the queue to get my oyster card. Everything went smoothly after than I got on the right line and switched at the right station and ended up a block away from my flat. Everything was hunky doory. Except then I decided to go to the grocery store after that and it happened to be Friday at rush hour. I HATE RUSH HOUR. People are uber rude. I miss manners and etiquette and no pushing and shoving. What are we reverting back to the first grade? Sheesh. Take a spoonful of yogurt Becca and eat a cookie you'll be fine.

Anyway, luckily I made a list. There were a gillion people in Sainsbury's. I managed to get salad stuff and eggs and muffins and fresh vegetables and fruit and hummus and soy milk. YES Dad. I got my soy milk. I loved it too, it was a different brand and it was so good.

I got enough for the week and I got a different flavor of soup. :)

BUT I did manage to get home without my salad dressing :( that I paid for. By that point I was so tired I didn't care. I only paid 30 pence for it. However Hillary, one of my flatmates on accident sprayed balsamic vinegerette all over me and I just was about to explode. The traveling and lack of sleep and the crazy food store was starting to get to me. Good thing I took a shower and started some laundry. Sometimes mundane tasks like that totally chill me out. (Also I saw a cute pair of shoes today that I think I might have to buy. They were only about twelve pounds and they were oh so posh. :] )

I'm doing my best to find my balance. I'm thinking of venturing to the ULU library (called the Senate library) with Claire or maybe even by myself during the early afternoon tomorrow. It's a beautifully huge building and I think I need some Becca time. Some nice alone time. All of these girls are beautifully nice but I'm telling you - I am used to being able to go for a drive down to #4 Overlook drive when I want some quiet. I guess I really do have spatial concerns. Nice to know at such a young age.

Anyway that brings you up to date. Most of the group is now loudly upstairs on the ground floor of the flat having a good time. That's fine but I really hope they find a balance. That's what I'm aiming for. We do actually have homework, you know, even if it is our first week and our first Friday in London.

That's just me going on a rant. I think my mood will improve greatly after I've slept. I miss you guys so much. Please keep leaving comments. They absolutely make me smile and make my day so much brighter. :)

Cheers.

6 comments:

  1. I am glad you are back. I missed your adventures. They are like a Becca story. Why if you are in England would anyone think to go looking for Pringles? Egg sandwiches are great and I know you like egg salad. I found a new kind of Oreos today. I think I am going to have to see if you like them. Is there anything else you want? I love you and miss you sweet baby....Gramner

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are rested today. I love the pictures. The train ride sounded fun. I bet you will like the library. Have you got your blanket yet? Lynne tells me that the Bed and Breakfast places are the ticket in England. She also said the countryside is the place to be. I hope you get to go to the coast. Maybe we can go when Daddy and I are there. Do you have much homework? We are missing you but you know that. I love you, Momma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why would you not want pringles? Haha. I am having a good time, except for missing you guys. I don't think I need anything else.
    I'm making pasta for dinner. Yay - Prego! Love you.

    Momma! I got to sleep for ten straight hours so I feel extremely better today. I didn't wake up in time for the library so Claire and I went to Camden market again so we could look at fruit and other stuff. It's like our farmer's market. I found a neat lady who makes hand made jewelry with little tiny charms. I will probably buy one later on in the trip - I promise I'm being conservative. I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought of something you like that is easy.
    Put 1 tablespoon of oil in pan. Heat oil
    Add carrots 1/4", celery 1/4", onions 1/2 inch pieces, green peppers 1/2" strips any other veggie you want. Stir fry carrots and celery until partially cooked (3 or 4 min) Add onions and pepper and cook until veggies are tender crisp. Add soy sauce and salt and pepper
    and mix. You can feed as many as you want by increasing the oil and adding more vegetables. You can also cook chicken and beef. You cut it up in small pieces and cook it before the vegetables. I hope this helps. Thinking about you...Gramner

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is an article on England in the travel section of the Democrat and it shows the exact same picture of the building that you took. The subject is that it is better to travel in the country to see the real England but they talked about the museum by your flat and other things. Very interesting because you are there. Love and miss you.
    Gramner

    ReplyDelete
  6. GRAMNER!!! Guess what? I am totally going to steal your stir fry recipe.
    I am going to try to do some weekend trips away from the huge city.

    I did find a nice park today. I'm going to update my blog in about five minutes - but I wanted to tell you that unfortunately I am not able to get into the reading room in the British Library. (That's the best part of the whole thing in my opinion. It's closed until 2013.) :(

    ReplyDelete