Thursday, October 28, 2010

Pumpkin Carving, Roasting, and Girl's Night In!!

Well hello there! Sorry about my lack of updating yesterday! I was in a bit of a pickle yesterday relating to my homework...(And due to some feedback I'll keep you updated on my music. Because - The Beatles.)

So let's go back to Wednesday - Yesterday. Let's see. I went to Hampstead Suburbs for Art and Architecture. We finally started looking at more modern houses and such. I think I'm a fan of gothic architecture, which makes me wonder about myself. Barnaby said something in class the other day about how gothic architecture focuses on ornamentation whilst modern architecture aims to be more practical. Ugh...I hope this doesn't mean I'm vain or anything...I just enjoy the way that buildings with gothic style architecture appear...usually staring at them for long periods of time reveals more subtleties that you missed in the first once-over.

Anywho. After that class we took the bus (Paper Walls - Yellowcard.) back to Russell Square and rushed to our flat for a quick bite of lunch before we headed off to Shakespeare. I know I have no room to complain (long weekend) but it's just intense to have two three hours classes back to back with little time for lunch in between. To be fair, the professors usually give us a break in there somewhere. We discussed the production of Hamlet we saw on Monday, and I enjoyed the class.

After that I had to go meet with Dr. King to discuss my first essay. All I will say on that note is - UGH. And continuing with that class - I had a major freak out session Wednesday night because I had a presentation on Thursday over a chapter in Riddley Walker...and...I just don't know how Riddley Walker is working for me right now. I literally had to read the passage that I was presenting at least four times. I don't even know how I'm going to struggle through the whole book - I'm sure I will persevere though. I'm sure...

I finally passed out around four am or something like that which brings me to Thursday...(Teenage Dream - Katy Perry - hey don't judge. Haha...it's catchy...)

Anywho today was much better than yesterday. I suffered through my presentation in class (it was much better than I thought, and I probably could have gone to bed way sooner than I thought.) Sheesh - but that's me, I suppose.

After class I went on a six mile run. I'm finally getting a nice pattern and rhythm when I go running...as in...I don't feel the need to stop in the middle of (London - Third Eye Blind) so that's a plus. After that I took a shower and popped over to Kemper's flat to eat some amazing pasta that she made. Hillary and I and Kemper tried to sort some annoying Hendrix details out and then we were off.

We went to soho to find the old sweet shop that I went to with my parents because I thought that they would have caramel. We are going to make caramel apples. :) (They probably won't be as good as the ones Mom and I get in Florida and Memphis - but we'll do our best!) Anywho after that we went to Waitrose to get a pumpkin.

Ok - and so the pumpkin story begins! I bought a huge pumpkin - a nice size one like I always have. They have to be big to carve the faces correctly, right? (Good Life - OneRepublic) Well, Kemper and Hillary got cute little pumpkins. Waitrose is about five or more blocks from our flat...

So. How does Becca get huge pumpkin from Waitrose to the flat? I have to carry it of course, which is not a problem...at first. But three lovely ladies waltzing down the street with two small pumpkins and one huge pumpkin are apparently a spectacle to Londoners. I was so annoyed with everyone by the time we got back to the flat. Even the man standing outside of the Russell Hotel fundraising for a charity looked at me and said, "What's wrong here? You've got a huge, round, orange thing..." I wanted to shout at him, "HAVEN'T YOU EVER SEEN A PUMPKIN BEFORE?!"

Everyone was staring at us like they didn't know what you do with pumpkins. Apart from lovely pies and bread, you get to carve them! I know they know what Halloween is, I mean, all the shops are decorated and such with stickers and ghoulies and witches! Another passerby literally pointed at me and said, "Pumpkin!" in a giddy voice. Unfortunately the passerby was not a child, in which case I might find it in my kind soul to let the incident slide. Sheesh.

I did carve a really cute pumpkin, though. I bet if I were carving with Jess and Johnny again this year though, both of their designs would make mine look below average haha. My pumpkin (Hamilton) is smiling and has lots of teeth. Hillary's pumpkin (Herbert) has one tooth and a full mouth shaped in the O of surprise. Kemper's pumpkin says "BOO!" and has a cute little pac man ghostie on the side. I think they're all adorable and it made me happy to do something that's so like home. When I think about it, I've been carving pumpkins all my life. I'll probably still be carving them twenty years from now. :P

We ate dinner at Benito's hat. I really love a good burrito the size of my face, it's good every time, even if they don't know what 'Mexican' food is over here.

After that we played some interesting card games and watched some movies. We were going to watch a Halloween scary movie - but Kemper and I both dislike scary movies. Poor Hillary. She was outnumbered this time.

I almost forgot to mention that we roasting our pumpkin seeds. We seasoned them and such and they are absolutely lovely. I didn't know how great they would be since I've never done that before. :)

Now I'm chilling in the living room all by myself. (Here Comes the Sun - The Beatles) And I can say - I'm really glad I'm here. I'm growing up in strange ways, ways that I both appreciate and yet...I can't wait to go home and be a kid for the couple of years I have left to hold onto that.

I miss my family like crazy! Sheesh. Hope you guys are well and you enjoy your Fayetteville game this weekend. (Don't worry Johnny Gately - I'm still NOT a Razorback fan. :P)

Until next time - Cheers!

<3

4 comments:

  1. Granddad and I are not going to Fayetteville. We traveled a couple of weeks ago. Jess and I are going to Build-a-Bear today. They have one with candy corn on it. You can get one when you come home. I love your pumpkin story. Your memories of past fun times bring comfort to you and you are making more great memories right now to savor in the future. It is finally cool here. Not like where you are but if I wanted warm weather all the time I would move to Florida. I got some beautiful Halloween flowers from Uncle David today. I will send you a picture. Sandra's birthday is this weekend. I made her napkins like I did a couple of Christmases ago. I think they must have better food where you are. Your Mom said you were skinny. Sounds like you will need new clothes when you come home. I read where The UK government was cutting 500,000 government jobs. What is the reaction over there? It's time for Jess to be home. Will write more later. Just one month. I love you..Gramner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca, I'm glad to hear, your still carving pumpkins even though you wern't here to help with mine. Well, Grammner took me to buildabear and i got to build a realy cute withe one w/candy corn print design. Gues what? I named it,Punkin!!
    Lov you, Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gramner - I am so excited about coming home. Kemper and I planned out November today and basically we have so much to do that the time will just fly. Can't wait to see you. Glad you're keeping up with the news - the people over here are NOT happy about the cuts...to say the least.

    Jess - I'm so jealous of your bear! You crazy girl. You'll have to make one with me when we return. I hope all is well. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becca,
    I enjoyed reading your "pumpkin stories". Don't you just love Halloween! Uncle Dan and I don't have a real jack-o-lantern, but we do have a scary looking house. Jess and PawPaw came to see us a couple of weeks ago, so we decorated the house for Jess. We probably won't have any kids, unless we have someone's grandchildren trick or treat! Oh well...more candy for me.
    Matthew called today to tell me that he carved an awesome jack-o-lantern for his porch. He lives in a neighborhood where there are lots of children, so he is ready for them.
    You take care sweetie. Uncle Dan and Michelle said to tell you hello.

    Love,
    Aunt Pam

    ReplyDelete