Thursday, November 11, 2010

Caught in the Deluge.

Good morning - afternoon - evening...what time is it?

You know when I was at Hendrix last year I had a clock that was set an hour ahead so I would remind myself that Johnny was a full hour ahead...AND I wanted to try to do something like that whilst I was over here. However, this is problematic seeing as the familial unit is six hours behind and Johnny is five hours behind. Sooooo much math that my brain can't handle. (There's a reason I'm an English major...)

So. I never really know what time it is...and by who's time I should be going by. Shouldn't I be going by my own time? I suppose so. That means it's midnight here - so for the rest of you - six pm and five pm, respectively...here we go. :)

Thursdays. Thursdays here have the slight magical of Fridays...but on the level that Fridays were when I was a kid and got picked up by Gramner and Grandad every Friday afternoon. We would always get Jess popcorn for 50 cents on the way out. Forrest Park popcorn was pretty good even though I don't even like popcorn.

For some reason my nostalgia meter is higher than usual...HMMMM.

Anywho we discussed more Riddley Walker in class today. (Politics. Which. IS. NOT. MY. THING!!!!) After class I went on a run. And let me tell you, today was real London weather. The skies looked clear as I left the flat jamming out to Jimi Hendrix...however, as I was finishing up and walking back I got soaked!

Soaked I tell ya, soaked. It was quite literally raining cats and dogs and possibly cows and antelope too! I was so drenched that I couldn't see through my glasses anymore...but then I just started laughing. All the suits and ties were walking haphazardly under their umbrellas (or what was left of them it was really windy!) and I was just splashing through the puddles right by them. There comes a point once you're wet, that you're really wet, and all you can do is laugh and keep moving. Just keep swimming as Dory says. (NEMO Jess. NEMO. WE have got to watch Nemo a couple of times over the break - they are on beaches and stuff, I bet it's warm in the ocean around Australia...)

Haha. So yeah. That was sort of a fail but one of the best runs I've had whilst I have been here. I made it to Big Ben as usual and just stared. I'm going to miss that clock more than anything else (building wise - except for maybe St. Paul's...)

After that I showered and ate some lunch and then made my way over to Kemper's. We had decided earlier in the day that we were going to try to go to a market this afternoon for a nice walk around. I was excited. So I picked one off of this website that supposedly had the best street markets in London.

SUPPOSEDLY.

We ended up traveling through the tube to this area only to be blasted by wind and rain and the market was...closed. It was such a fail. I felt bad - because we essentially wasted a tube fare...and it was my choice. UGH.

But we found a Poundland - which is the same as the Dollarstore in the US. Is it funny that being in there made me nostalgic for birthday parties? Summer and birthdays in my family is like clockwork...and for almost every birthday this summer I was at the dollarstore getting cute little decorations and such. Just missing my family extra today. Haha.

SO I got some packing tap for a pound, because I have to send some goodies home soon. Probably in the next two weeks, because quite literally it's only twenty days till I come home. I'm counting down, counting down, can't wait.

AND just get ready because a little bird told me it's been hot in Arkansas. As soon as my plane lands it'll be cold and windy and rainy...and how knows it'll probably snow. I'll probably bring London weather home with me. So just count with me and we'll get the fall/winter weather on the way. :)

Dinner was a success however. We made homemade pizza. Kemper looked up a recipe for pizza dough and then we winged it (following Kemper's instructions) and made a Hawaiin and Vegetarian pizza. They put DG to shame. Just saying. Jess would have been impressed.

We bought a game at PoundLand that is just like Sorry but it's called Ludo. SO we played ludo for a bit but the we got distracted and just chilled. All in all, I had a great day. A bit on the nostalgic side...but still lovely. I miss you guys like crazy, can't wait to come home. (By the way, going to Liverpool on Monday, so I'll be here all weekend. Updating the blog and such.)

Cheers for now.

3 comments:

  1. You mentioned Hamlet in one of your recent posts. Well...I'm going to see it at the Rep tomorrow night. The actor playing Hamlet is actually from Arkansas. He lives in NY now, but hails from the south. Who knew? I'm looking forward to seeing it. The Rep always does amazing stuff. It's not like seeing it in London - but it will have to do for now! Take care and have a fab weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm working on our list I'll let you know when I finish. I got my tooth fixed. It's never as bad as I think it will be. We got Jess a helmet so she can ride now. It was warm again but later this week it is supposed to be cooler. I got a postcard today. Thanks I love to get mail and the picture was beautiful. Is there anything you need to sew before Christmas? I don't know what to put on the list. I think you should have some input since you know what your plans are. I miss you sweet baby. I love you....Gramner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca - I LOVED Hamlet. I thought it was amazing on the stage. Funny coincidence that the rep is doing it right now. I hope you enjoy the show!

    Gramner - I have sewing ideas, but I have no idea which one to go for haha. Sorry about your tooth...I don't like dentist offices much. I miss you! I'm too sleepy to update my blog so I'll do it soon. <3

    ReplyDelete